Saturday, July 5, 2014

GREAT HIGH PRIEST

           Still more names for Our beautiful Lord Jesus from Fr. Mike Scanlan's book Titles of Jesus.
 
           FIRST-BORN OF THE DEAD: Scripture: Colossians 1:18  And He is the head of the body, the church; He is the beginning, the first-born of the dead, so that in all things He might be preeminent. Key Thought: Through sin we all died. We did not have eternal life. Jesus became man and joined human nature to eternal life. He died and rose from the dead so that we, too, can be born again. My Thought: This is very difficult to comprehend.  Jesus told Nicodemas he must change and make his entire spiritual life vibrant. Those of you who have my book, read  Nicodemos and the Blind Man, page 41 and my poem Nicky and the Blind Man, page 155.

          GOOD SHEPHERD: Scripture: John 10:11-14 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep...I am the good shepherd I know mine and mine know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father, and I lay down my life for the sheep. Key Thought: Jesus cares for us as a good shepherd who is willing to die to save one of his sheep. Jesus did die for us and He won't abandon us now. We can know Him and be at peace in His care. My Thought: Fr. Joe Rodriques said the shepherd at night would put himself in the pen and lay down in front of the gate. The sheep felt more protected by that action. Makes sense.

             GREAT HIGH PRIEST: Scripture: Hebrews 4:14. Therefore since we have a great high priest having gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we possess. Key Thought: Priests are called to stand as mediators between God and His people offering sacrifices to God on behalf of the people. Jesus is the Great High Priest who offered the sacrifice of His life for us and continues to offer that sacrifice in intercession for us. My Thought: Song on Christian radio right now playing is about all the things we believe, similar to our Nicene Creed. Yes, He is the One we need to put all our trust and faith in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment